I was looking back at some of my old posts and noticed I have now been blogging for a year. Now that I am reflecting back, I would like to comment on the things that I have learned and experienced.
What I Learned from Blogging
My director at my day job always told me that it’s important to give back to the community. I’ve had a great year being able to do just that, and in return I’ve had the opportunity to get to know some brilliant and talented people. I ended up learning more about the technique I was sharing from reader feedback and comments, and most importantly it made me overcome my fear of writing.
I was never the type to write, I actually hated it and avoided it at all costs. Although I still make stupid spelling/grammar errors, I am now able to communicate my thoughts much easier than ever before. Not only did it help my verbal and writing skills, but it has also helped me effectively teach people and allowed me to understand usability in a new light. Good communication is good usability (whether its written or demonstrated graphically), I never thought of it this way till now.
For those who hate or fear writing the way I did, its never too late to change. Get your blog started and see where it takes you. When you write about things you love, its much more enjoyable and your words will flow more naturally. Communication is key in dealing with clients and working in a team, blogging may be your gateway to overcome those fears.
To all of those who have supported me, I truly appreciate your support and encouragement. Thank you for all of the comments, feedback, suggestions, calling out my fails, etc. this blog would not be where it’s at without you. Looking forward to another great year, feel free to catch me anytime!
Just in case you missed some of my older posts here are some highlights:
- Sexy Ordered Lists with CSS
- Markup Hierarchy – Advantages in SEO
- CSS On-Hover Image Captions
- 5 Step Style Sheet Weight Loss Program
- Fixed Footer Backgrounds with CSS
- Achieving Double Background Effect with CSS
- Beginner’s Checklist Before Debugging CSS
- CSS Vertical Navigation with Teaser
- Using Print Stylesheets Effectively
- Debugging CSS – The Plan of Attack
- Liquid + Fixed Two Column Lists with CSS
- 5 Ways to Spice up Your Images with CSS
- Simple Page Peel Effect with jQuery & CSS
- Smart Columns w/ CSS & jQuery
- Simple Tabs w/ CSS & jQuery
- Animated Navigation with CSS & jQuery
- Fancy Thumbnail Hover Effect w/ jQuery
- Simple Toggle with CSS & jQuery
- Side Navigation Tooltip / Popup Bubble